This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. As always, I only recommend links I personally use and love!
Body Butter is not cheap! I used to buy the ones at The Body Shop and they were $20 dollars a pop. That’s pretty high for just a 6oz container. They worked great but they were just so darn expensive. Then I found out how easy it is to make your own body butter at home, and how much cheaper it is!
It’s super easy and all you need are just 4 ingredients, some of which you may already have. If not I have links provided to what you’ll need to get.
Body Butter Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Shea Butter
- 1/2 cup Cocoa Butter (or you can use Mango butter)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil (Awesome for your skin, you can also use as a facial moisturizer, hair mask, and you can cook with it too)
- 1/2 cup light carrier oil like Sweet Almond, Jojoba, or Avocado Oil
- Optional: 10-30 drops of Essential Oil of your choice ( I like the Simply Earth brand, high quality and inexpensive. You can also get some free oils from this post here)
Body Butter Recipe Instructions
- Combine all ingredients. (except the essential oil if your using) You will need to warm them and you can do it with a saucepan over medium low heat or a double boiler
- You want to gently warm them until they are all melted together to a liquid and then remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool till just set but not fully hard yet. You can refrigerate it for 30 minutes or so or put it in the freezer to do it quicker.
- Once it’s set you can add your essential oils and then mix it with a hand mixer or stand mixer until it is fluffy with stiff peaks.
- Transfer to a sealed jar or container and store at room temperature to avoid melting.
Here are a couple of essential oils that work really great in these body butters.
- Lavender – It smells great and it’s also good for dermatitis, eczema, acne, psoriasis and scarring.
- Peppermint – It gives a cooling and refreshing effect. Great for tired feet and sore muscles.
- Lemon – Lemon works great on oily skin. It also combats wrinkles and helps eliminate warts.
- Ladies Choice – This blend works great for PMS and even helps with cramps.
- There are lots other blends out there depending on your needs.
I know many of you are into essential oils so leave a comment below with your favorite oil of blend.