This post may contain affiliate links that earn me a small commission, at no cost to you. As always, I only recommend links I personally use and love!
Always wanted to try Weight Watchers but hated the high cost? Then let me show you How to Do Weight Watchers for FREE!
Looking for the new Freestyle Plan? You can learn how to do it for FREE here.
On average, a Weight Watchers membership will set you back about $60 bucks a month. Once you know the basics, it’s easy to do Weight Watchers on your own. Weight watchers does work if you follow the directions and it’s much easier than counting calories. On average you should expect to lose about 2lbs a week, although many people lose more. (I lost 4lbs my first week!)
Figure out your daily point allowance (Points Plus System)
- Everyone is allowed a certain number of points per day. Use this points plus allowable calculator to determine how many points you get per day. This is accurate and the same as what you would use if on the paid program.
- All Weight Watchers followers get an additional 49 Bonus/Flex Points per week. These can be used a little each day, or in larger chunks on special days. I try not to use them if I can help it. You can use them though and you’ll still lose weight, just slower.
Calculate the Points in your food
- Now that you know how many Weight Watchers points you can eat each day, you need to be able to calculate how many Weight Watchers points are in the food you are eating.
- Use this online calculator by entering the info off the nutrition label on your food. (FREE)
- You can also download an app that actually allows you to scan the labels to get the points value. It costs a couple bucks but worth it. This is the one I use.
- You can also buy a points calculator on Amazon like the ones available from Weight Watchers.
- Here is a free printable log sheet if you prefer to write it down.
Zero Point Food
- Most fruits, veggies, and some condiments are ZERO points! Use this list to see all the foods that won’t cost you any PointsPlus values. You can eat anything on the list and it costs nothing!!
- No foods are off limits. Eat anything you want as long as you stick to your daily point allowance. You will notice that junk food and unhealthy stuff is high in points so try to make better choices so you won’t run out of points and be hungry.
- Watch your portions! If a serving of cereal is 3 points but you dump 3 servings worth in your bowl your overeating! Either measure the amount in one serving or count double the points.
- One of the big reasons Weight Watchers works is accountability. No one wants to go to a meeting and get weighed to find they gained weight for the week. So that usually helps you stay on track.
- Whether you join a free online group like Spark People, Facebook groups or Myfitnesspal, or you join with some local friends to hold you accountable this is super important.
If you still need more help, Weight Watchers is offering a “Lose 10 lbs on Us” promo where you can get a refund for your first 2 months of fees if you lose 10 pounds! A great way to learn the basics!
Here are some more helpful links to help you be successful!
- Starting the PointsPlus® Program: 5 Things Not To Do!
- MyFitnessPal Food Database (To find the nutrition values in foods without a label)
- Weight Watchers Recipes at Skinny Taste
Do you have any questions? Leave your question in the comment section below.